- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Katie Couric is filling in for Savannah Guthrie, who is out on maternity leave, this week and the former Today anchor was thrilled to honor her past co-anchor on his big day. “So many high points and so many low points,” said Couric. “I’m just so excited to celebrate you.”
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) January 6, 2017
The celebration included looking back at Lauer’s most memorable moments, plus a trip around the studio with staffers dressed in “20” T-shirts. As Lauer made his way outside, standing at the end of the line was Dylan Dreyer and Savannah Guthrie, who both returned from maternity leave to surprise Lauer.
“I’ve looked up to you all my whole life,” said Guthrie, adding, “because you’re so old.”
Celebrities like Jon Hamm, Elton John, Tom Hanks, Annette Bening, and Kevin Hart congratulated — and teased — the Today anchor in a video tribute. Hanks thanked Lauer for doing a service to all men when he “said goodbye to the hair without any regrets.” Hart, like Guthrie, teased Lauer for being “old,” saying that if he’s been at the show for 20 years he’s clearly 75 years old.
Watch below to see Matt’s top moments on the show and to see Al Roker, Couric, Carson Daly and more speak about working with him.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day