- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The kids cable network has greenlighted half-hour comedy pilot Super Awesome Katy, which the 17-year-old starlet will topline, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Super Awesome Katy centers on 16-year-old Katy Cooper (Zendaya), an outspoken and confident technology wiz and skilled black belt, who discovers that both her parents are spies who expect her to follow in their footsteps.
The project marks a reunion between Zendaya and Shake It Up executive producer Rob Lotterstein, who will also be an EP on Super Awesome Katy.
Production on the pilot begins in early 2014.
Should the project be ordered to series, it would extend Zendaya’s relationship with Disney Channel following the end of Shake It Up, which airs its series finale Nov. 10, and would join the network’s 2014-15 schedule. She next stars in the already-wrapped original TV movie Zapped!, based on the novel Boys Are Dogs, scheduled for a 2014 premiere.
Zendaya, who competed on cycle 16 of Dancing With the Stars and is signed to Hollywood Records, is repped by Monster Talent and Bill Skrzyniarz at Skrzyniarz and Mallean.
Disney Channel recently began production on the anticipated Boy Meets World spinoff Girl Meets World and twin series I Didn’t Do It, both set to launch next year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day