- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Another Sharknado is getting ready to hit Syfy.
The NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment network has officially greenlit Sharknado 5, it was announced Thursday.
Original stars Ian Ziering and Tara Reid will return for the international installment, which will film in more than five countries around the world, including the U.K., Australia and Bulgaria. Principal photography began Thursday in the latter country.
The official description for Sharknado 5 says that “with much of North America lying in ruins, the rest of the world braces for the inevitable — a global sharknado. Fin Shepard (Ziering) and his family must put a stop to this disaster before Earth is completely obliterated.”
Anthony C. Ferrante, who directed the first four films, will once again step behind the camera. Scotty Mullen penned the script.
Sharknado 5 hails from Syfy and The Asylum, who are also collaborators on the Syfy zombie drama Z Nation.
No premiere date was given for the sequel, but previous installments of Sharknado have bowed in summer, specifically July.
The first Sharknado debuted in July 2013 to a solid 1.4 million viewers and 556,000 viewers for the 18-49 demo, buoyed by a strong response on social media. Although the first sequel improved on its predecessor’s performance, Sharknado 3 and 4 have more recently seen viewership dips.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day