- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Showtime’s Happyish is adding a philosopher.
The New Normal alum Ellen Barkin has boarded the comedy starring Steve Coogan, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Happyish is a dark examination of the pursuit of happiness. Coogan stars as Thom Payne, whose new bosses are half his age. Bradley Whitford plays Jonathan, Thom’s mentor and boss who is an advertising legend whose success is due in equal parts to his creative genius and his moral cravenness. Kathryn Hahn returns to star as Thom’s wife.
Barkin will guest-star in the pilot as Dani Kirschenbloom, a headhunter who works closely with Thom. The character harbors no illusions about the advertising industry, or life, and is best described as the sardonic prophet-philosopher of the project.
For Emmy- and Tony-winner Barkin, the role marks her latest TV gig since NBC’s Ryan Murphy–Ali Adler comedy The New Normal and appearances on Modern Family. Her credits include Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, This Boy’s Life and Drop Dead Gorgeous.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day