- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
LONDON — Simon Cowell has unveiled his next British TV project, a roulette-style game show that will see contestants compete to win a cash prize of one million pounds.
Cowell will co-present the ITV1 show with Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donelly, co-hosts of I’m a Celebrity: Get Me Out of Here, another big ITV1 hit.
Cowell said the “high-concept” show would see contestants compete in a series of chance-based events — with the 7000 initial contestants being whittled down to a handful who will face the roulette wheel in the final. Red or Black is set to air in a TV event that will air on seven consecutive nights on British TV this fall, scheduling in the same way as Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? when it launched almost a decade ago.
“A lot of TV shows I see are quite boring. I like the fact that we are doing something that is high-concept,” said Cowell. “Every single night someone is going to have to make that decision [red or black — to win a million pounds]. That isn’t something we have seen more than a few times on television. Thank goodness ITV gives us the budget to do something big.”
Red or Black will be produced by ITV Studios and Cowell’s production outfit Syco.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Fien Print
The Last of Us
Tyler James Williams