- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The accomplished director wrote an episode for the Fox animated series in 1990, after the show had aired just six episodes. He was 22 years old at the time.
Nothing happened to the script back then, and Apatow admits that it didn’t lead to him nabbing any jobs. But good things come to those who wait, as Simpsons producer Al Jean reached out to Apatow more than two decades later with an offer to produce the episode.
Apatow told TV Guide that the script needed a little TLC to get TV-ready.
“It’s a pretty rough script — when I reread it, I wasn’t exactly glowing with pride — but Al and the staff did their Simpsons magic on it,” the This Is 40 director said. He added that seeing the cast bring his script to life at the table read “was one of the greatest days of my life.”
Apatow’s episode is entitled “Bart’s New Friend” and focuses on Homer thinking he’s 10 years old after getting hypnotized. Fox will air the episode on Jan. 11.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day