- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC’s The Smart One is getting smarter.
The comedy pilot starring Portia de Rossi and Malin Akerman has added two regulars to its cast in The Onion News Network’s Matt Oberg and The Closer‘s Stephanie Beatriz, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
From Warner Bros. Television, Smart One revolves around Jude, a brilliant and successful woman (de Rossi) who begrudgingly goes to work for Candy, her less-brainy but more popular sister — a former beauty queen, weather girl and now big-city mayor (Malin Akerman).
Oberg will play Martin, Jude’s ex-associate who is described as a slick D.C. power- player who never betrays what he’s feeling. Beatriz, meanwhile, will play Natalee, Candy’s whip smart yet ditsy hairdresser who helped get the dim bulb elected mayor. She’s described as a cross between Octavia Spencer from The Help and Jennifer Coolidge from Legally Blonde.
The duo join a cast that also includes David Arquette and Jean Smart.
Donald Toddwill pen the project and executive produce alongside Lauren Corrao and de Rossi’s wife, Ellen DeGeneres. Better Off Ted‘s Michael Fresco will reunite with de Rossi to exec produce and helm the pilot.
Oberg is repped by CAA and Bleecker Street Entertainment; Beatriz is with Buchwald/Fortitude.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
House of the Dragon