- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Jennifer Hudson is following in Megan Hilty’s Smash footsteps in getting a Broadway veteran to play her mother.
Sheryl Lee Ralph, who played Dreamgirls‘ Deena Jones on Broadway in 1981, has been tapped to guest star on the second season of NBC’s Broadway drama, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
PHOTOS: Marilyn vs. Marilyn: A Day in the Life of NBC’s ‘Smash’
As first reported by Vulture, Ralph will guest star as Cynthia, the mother to Hudson’s Veronica Moore.
Hudson’s Veronica is described as a Tony-winning Broadway star who impacts the lives of Karen (Katharine McPhee) and Ivy (Hilty). The former Dreamgirls Oscar winner will appear in multiple episodes of Smash‘s second season, which is set to return midseason.
VIDEO: ‘Smash’ First Look: Jennifer Hudson Schools Katharine McPhee
Broadway legend Bernadette Peters played mother to Hilty’s Ivy on the first season of Smash, appearing in a pair of episodes to support her daughter as she struggled with the demands of Bombshell, the play at the center of Season 1.
In addition to Dreamgirls, Ralph’s stage credits also include 2002’s Thoroughly Modern Millie and features Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. On the small screen, her résumé includes Hunter, Designing Women and Moesha. She’s repped by Clear Talent Group and SMS Talent.
Email: Lesley.Goldberg@thr.com; Twitter: @Snoodit
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day