- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Melissa McCarthy is returning to Studio 8H.
This comes at a prime time for McCarthy, who made her debut on NBC’s long-running late-night sketch show in October 2011. Identity Thief, which co-stars Jason Bateman, has crossed the $100 million mark at the box office since its early February release, and McCarthy — along with husband Ben Falcone — launched a production company with a slew of projects. She next appears in May’s The Hangover: Part III and The Heat opposite Sandra Bullock, out a month later.
“I went into such an embarrassing, weird, inappropriately loud cry,” McCarthy told THR in September 2011 of her reaction when she found out she booked her first SNL gig. Some skits from her go-around included Kristen Wiig‘s “Lawrence Welk” bit and McCarthy as an employee sexually harassing Jason Sudeikis‘ character.
Us Weekly first reported the news.
Justin Timberlake pulls double duty March 9 as host and musical guest.
Executive produced by Lorne Michaels, SNL is produced in association with Broadway Video.
UPDATE: During the March 9 episode, NBC confirmed McCarthy’s hosting gig on air and announced that Phoenix would be the musical guest.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Fien Print
the tonight show