- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Saturday Night Live tackled the Carnival Cruise disaster in its cold open, showing two crew members (played by Jason Sudeikis and Cecily Strong) trying to entertain the ill-fated passengers of the ship that became stranded for days after a small fire.
Sudeikis’ character praises the passengers, saying they looked pretty great for people who haven’t showered in four days.
Then, in a rather ballsy move, the SNL sketch included a joke referencing the alleged murder of Olympian Oscar Pistorius’ girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.
The crew members attempted to cheer up the passengers by reading headlines from the week’s newspapers (delivered via helicopter). But each story was more depressing than the previous: The Pope resigned, the North Koreans tested a nuke, and that “uplifting” Oscar Pistorius? He was accused of murdering his girlfriend.
They finally find a story they think will do the trick:
“You think you guys have it bad? Well, how about this: ‘4,000 stranded on a cruise’ — Oh. That’s about us.”
Other horrible forms of entertainment included a comedian doing a bad Chris Rock impersonation and the ship’s own captain trying to do a Michael Jackson impression.
SNL airs at 11:30 p.m. on NBC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day