- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Saturday Night Live tried to make C-SPAN more exciting in this week’s cold open.
The show parodied the U.S. Senate hearings on Benghazi, with Republican Sen. Darrell Issa (Bill Hader) calling upon recently convicted murderer Jodi Arias (Nasim Pedrad) to testify.
PHOTOS: From Live TV to the Big Screen: 12 ‘SNL‘ Sketches Made Into Movies
Democratic Sen. Elijah Cummings (Kenan Thompson) cried foul, saying his colleague was bringing Arias onstage in order to increase ratings — and draw more attention to what he described as a Republican witch hunt.
Pedrad played Arias as creepy and ignorant, with her asking why there was a hearing if the U.S. already knew who committed the attack on the U.S. consulate.
“What’s next? The guy from Cleveland who kept those women in his basement?” asked an exasperated Cummings.
VIDEO: ‘SNL’ Recap: Kristen Wiig Charms in Return to Live TV
In the crowd, accused Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro (Bobby Monihan) demanded to know when it would be his turn to testify. (On a side note — Hader accidentally referred to the character as the man credited with rescuing the women, Charles Ramsey.)
We’ll post video as soon as it’s made available online.
This week’s episode was hosted by Kristen Wiig with musical guest Vampire Weekend.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day