- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first, “The Cage,” was rejected by NBC for being “too cerebral” (ah, some things never change).
The second, “Where No Man Has Gone Before,” replaced the actor who played the captain with William Shatner and was more action driven. That pilot had an alternate version which was largely lost and has never aired. Apparently, a film collector in Germany acquired the print and “recently brought it to the attention” of CBS/Paramount. CBS is now releasing this version on Blu-ray Dec. 15.
The alternate version is in three parts with 1970s-style act breaks, an entirely different version of Captain JamesT. Kirk’s opening monologue (“But now a new task. A probe out into where no man has gone before”) and music that contrasts from the famousopening theme and an extended action sequence.
From the release:
Here’s a some clips that have been previously circulated from the alternate version….
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day