- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Starz has found its Captain Flint.
Toby Stephens, who played the villain in the James Bond film Die Another Day, has been tapped to star in the upcoming eight-episode original series Black Sails.
The series takes place 20 years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson‘s classic Treasure Island and hails from executive producer Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes shingle.
Stephens will play Flint, the most feared captain of all the Golden Age pirates and commander of the pirate ship Walrus. Threatened with extinction on all sides, he and his crew fight for the survival of New Providence Island, a hub for criminals that teems with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers. There, he’ll find a young stranger named John Silver who will join his crew as they set forth on a plan that could change the course of history.
English actor Stephens’ credits also include The Great Gatsby, Space Cowboys and the upcoming All Things to All Men. On the small screen, he has appeared in The Walking Dead, Robin Hood, Strike Back and the BBC/PBS mini Jane Eyre.
Jericho’s Jon Steinberg created the series and serves as showrunner and executive producer. Production will begin at Cape Town Studios in Cape Town, South Africa, later this year.
Stephens is repped by Paradigm.
Email: Lesley.Goldberg@thr.com; Twitter: @Snoodit
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day