- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The rumor mill went into overdrive when Stephen Colbert unexpectedly halted production on his nightly Comedy Central program, leaving many to speculate what could have caused the host to abandon his post.
Colbert returned to the airwaves on Monday, Feb. 20 and using his signature humor, addressed the many rumors surrounding his absence. As it turns out, Colbert shut down production for two days in order to tend to his 91-year-old mother.
“Evidently, having 11 children makes you tough as nails,” he joked during the broadcast.
Among the rumors shot down: A forthcoming bid for the presidency, show cancellation, a rehab stint and plastic surgery.
Ahead of his return, Comedy Central would only say that the tapings were canceled due to “unforeseen circumstances.” On Friday, Colbert tweeted to his fans: “My family and I would like to thank everyone who has offered their thoughts and prayers. We are grateful and touched by your concern.”
Watch the clip below
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day