- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Saturday night, the five living former U.S. presidents came together for a fundraiser for those affected by hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico. In a moment captured on camera during President Clinton’s speech, President George W. Bush leaned over to President Obama, whispering something in his ear that made Obama laugh.
But first, Colbert pleaded for some assistance from the former leaders.
“You know it’s nice, it’s really nice that they can all be there together, having fun,” Colbert began before frantically pleading, “Help us! Why aren’t you helping us? Come back, all of you! At once!”
Colbert then offered up a few possible jokes that Bush could’ve made to Obama, “‘Hey, were you born in Kenya?,’ ‘Twenty bucks if you pants Clinton right now,’ ‘Yo, real quick, where’s Puerto Rico?,’ ‘This morning I painted a shih tzu,’ and ‘Hey, are you LeBron James?'”
It was a rare unified appearance for Presidents Carter, H. W. Bush, Clinton, W. Bush and Obama. President Trump sent a video to the fundraiser, called The One America Appeal, which raised more than $33 million for hurricane relief.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day