- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oscar winner Taika Waititi will play a demented pirate in a new HBO Max series.
The Thor: Ragnarok and Mandalorian director-actor will play the feared pirate Blackbeard in Our Flag Means Death. The story is loosely based on the true adventures of Stede Bonnet, “a pampered aristocrat who abandoned his life of privilege to become a pirate.”
“Our Blackbeard is a legend, a lover, a fighter, a tactical genius, a poetic soul, and quite possibly insane,” says showrunner David Jenkins (People of Earth). “Only one man could play this role, and that is the great Taika Waititi. We’re thrilled beyond measure he’s decided to don the beard.”
While that might sound like a dramatic premise, the project is actually a half-hour comedy that will span six episodes.
Waititi will also direct the pilot and executive produce the project. Jenkins, Garrett Basch and Dan Halsted also executive produce.
Waititi is wrapping up directing Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder, which will release in 2022. Waititi is also behind FX’s cult favorite What We Do in the Shadows. His 2019 film Jojo Rabbit received six Oscar nominations, and Waititi took home the award for best adapted screenplay.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day