- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Mercy star will play the coveted lead role in the project from Lionsgate TV that’s based on the book by Piper Kerman.
The one-hour dramedy centers on an engaged Brooklyn resident whose decade-old relationship with a drug-runner in college results in her arrest and multi-year detention in a federal penitentiary. Lacking any real-world experience to deal with this harsh new environment, Piper immerses herself in women’s prison culture and finds acceptance, tears, laughter and love amidst an outspoken group of inmates.
Schilling has starred in the 2011 film adaptation of Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged and appeared opposite Zac Efron in The Lucky One. She last toplined NBC’s hospital drama Mercy from 2009-10.
Orange marks Netflix’s latest original series, joining the Media Rights Capital-produced political thriller House of Cards from David Fincher and Kevin Spacey, and a revival of cult comedy Arrested Development. In June, it was announced that Kohan’s Weeds will end after the eighth season.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day