- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC has delayed the return of its Shonda Rhimes-produced TGIT lineup.
In place of the three dramas, ABC News will broadcast a pre-inauguration 20/20 special, America’s First Family: The Trumps Go to Washington. That will air from 10-11 p.m. ET/PT on Jan. 19, with repeats of Grey’s and Scandal at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively.
The timing of the delay comes as Scandal is poised to pick up its sixth season with the results of the show’s central presidential election. The storyline features a female presidential candidate — the former first lady — running against a Latino Democratic candidate.
ABC stresses that the move was made in order to accommodate the ABC News special and to ensure that TGIT returned with three original episodes — and has nothing to do with the content of the episode.
Scandal‘s return comes after the Kerry Washington political soap was bumped from its traditional fall debut to accommodate her second pregnancy. ABC has refrained from using its TGIT marketing campaign until all three of its dramas on the night were from Rhimes.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day