- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“TNT has been proud to be a part of Men of a Certain Age for two seasons,” a spokesperson for TNT said in a statement Friday. “While the show has featured great storytelling and impeccable performances, the audience simply hasn’t built to the point where we can continue the series.”
The slow-paced male dramedy, which premiered to critical accolades in late 2009, centered on three best friends (Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula) grappling with the realities of middle age.
The Peabody-winning series failed to attract the type of viewership that other TNT shows such as Falling Skies and Rizzoli and Isles regularly garner. The show wrapped its split second season run earlier this month with the latter half averaging only a 0.4 in the coveted 18-49 demographic.
“This was an extremely difficult decision for us,” the spokesperson continued. “We wish Ray Romano, [co-creator/showrunner] Mike Royce and the terrific cast and crew of Men of a Certain Age the very best and look forward to exploring new programming possibilities in the future.”
At Turner’s mid-May upfront lunch, Romano acknowledged that he didn’t’ “want to be doing the show at a certain age,” but told The Hollywood Reporter that he’d continue “as long as we’re having fun. What else am I doing? I’m like Richard Gere in An Officer and A Gentleman; ‘I got nowhere else to go!’ ”
The news comes a day after Braugher received his second supporting drama actor Emmy nomination for his role on the show.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day