- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A version of this story first appeared in the Sept. 4 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.
Transgender acceptance is riding a wave these days, but trans actress Candis Cayne (who appears with Caitlyn Jenner on E!’s I Am Cait) remembers when life in Hollywood wasn’t so easy.
“I went on an audition for Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry David was there,” Cayne tells THR. “The part was for a trans woman who had to go to the bathroom really bad and decided she was going to go in the men’s line because it was quicker. I said, ‘Thank you for writing a trans part, but I can’t audition because a trans woman wouldn’t do this. I have to honor my community,’ and I walked out of the audition,” exiting with, ” ‘But I love the show!’ ”
The experience proved to be a tough one for Cayne, who admits that “you’re always fighting this because you want to work, but you also want to be honest.” And she’s not the only one.
Cayne reveals that fellow trans actress Alexandra Billings was in the waiting area when she walked out of the audition and she later found out from Billings that she, too, had the same reaction to the part. “I said, ‘Right on, sister!’ “
A representative for HBO says the part never appeared on Curb.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day