- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
OK, here’s the thing. Take away all the heavy-handed uber-gothic romance touches — the rain, the crashing waves, the wet, slippery black cliffs and that suspenseful music, this short film for Calvin Klein’s new men’s fragrance — Encounter — is pretty darn intense.
All you really need to sell men’s fragrance to men’s girlfriends is to feature the sensual stone-face of Alexander Skarsgard, who plays the dangerously impulsive vampire Eric Northman on HBO’s wildly successful series True Blood.
Calvin Klein ad execs have wisely selected Skarsgard to be the man to drive a sleek sportscar and enter a chillingly modern cliffside house and climb up the stairs (the ones you can see through, oh how I hate those) just to get to — who else — breathlessly anticipatory gap-toothed model of the moment Lara Stone.
There’s also the additional shudder of seeing Skarsgard in so many, how shall we put this, shades of grey.
His name has come up frequently as being the perfect actor to play Christian Grey in the upcoming film version of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Surely this fragrance ad is will give Hollywood casting directors a bit of a nudge. What about you? Does this commercial make you want to see Skarsgard as Christian Grey?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day