- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The CNN Films documentary, which explores the consequences (human and animal) of keeping killer whales in captivity, won the 9-11 p.m. block with an average 472,000 viewers in the adults 25-54 demographic. That easily put the network on top of Fox News Channel (311,000) and MSNBC (235,000).
Blackfish fared even stronger among adults 18-49, averaging 688,000 in the younger demo. That easily tops the combined scores of FNC (216,000) and MSNBC (173,000). Besting all other CNN Films this year, the Sundance Film Festival favorite premiered after a big promotional push from the network.
Total viewers for the two-hour block saw FNC maintain its typical lead with 1.89 million viewers, but CNN rose to a strong second with 1.36 million viewers. MSNBC averaged 867,0000.
Anderson Cooper followed Blackfish with a 90-minute AC Special Report at 11 p.m. It placed second to FNC (1.2 million viewers, 334,000 adults 25-54) with 560,000 viewers and 231,000 in the demo. (MSNBC averaged 361,000 viewers and 74,000 adults 25-54 for the same time period.)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day