- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
America chose to ring in the New Year with Sunday Night Football. The Jan 1. NFC East game between the New York Giants and the Dallas Cowboys, which pushed the Giants into the play-offs, delivered the franchise’s best overnight household rating in history — a 17.1
Fast affiliate returns also gave the game an average of 23.7 million viewers over the course of the broadcast, with a 8.7 rating among adults 18-49. This gave the network an easy win against blocks of reruns from the lingering hiatus, averaging 20.2 million for the night and a 7.0 in the key demo.
Buoyed by NFL overrun, CBS came in second place, averaging 10.7 million and a 2.3 rating among 18-49-ers. Those numbers will drop when final ratings are available.
Fox’s animation reruns managed to outperform ABC’s four-hour marathon of Once Upon a Time repeats. Fox averaged a 1.6 rating among adults 18-49, with 3.9 million viewers, while ABC pulled a 1.1 rating and 3.8 million viewers.
More to come.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Thomas Brodie Sangster