- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fox’s big-budget adventure series, Terra Nova, debuted on television Monday, posting respectable numbers for its two-hour launch.
Terra Nova (9 million total viewers, 3.0 rating in adults 18-49 demographic), executive produced by Steven Spielberg, did modestly, up against heavy competition on CBS and ABC. The ambitious drama improved Fox’s average by 25 percent from last season in the key demo, but the high-concept series is on an uphill climb to see if it can grow its audience in its second week.
CBS’ Two and a Half Men took an expected dive for its second episode, drawing 20 million and posting a 7.2 rating, giving it the easy victory on Monday night. The rest of the CBS comedies, save for the premiere of Mike & Molly (14 million, 4.9) improving 26 percent from last year’s launch, dipped from their season premieres. How I Met Your Mother (10.6 million, 4.4) was down 6 percent, 2 Broke Girls (11.6 million, 4.5) — in its time period premiere — saw an expected 37 percent dip. Hawaii Five-0 (11.1 million, 3.3) was relatively steady at 10 p.m. CBS topped the night in the demo, averaging a 4.6.
NBC’s The Playboy Club continued to sink, dropping another 19 percent in its second week to draw 3.8 million and a 1.3. The Sing-Off (4.4 million, 1.7) didn’t help Playboy either, hitting a series low in the demo.
ABC’s Dancing With the Stars (16 million, 3.3) was its lowest-rated performance show to date, while Castle (11.9 million, 2.9) was down 9 percent in the demo, the latter a steady second in its time period behind Hawaii Five-0.
The CW’s Gossip Girl (1.4 million, 0.8) returned for its fifth season, improving 22 percent in among the adults 18-34 demo from the season closer. Rachel Bilson‘s Hart of Dixie (1.8 million, 0.8) launched following the veteran Josh Schwartz soap, building upon its lead-in in total viewers by 29 perent. Dixie expanded its audience in the second half hour (1.7 million vs. 1.9 million) and the 18-49 demo (0.7 vs. 0.8).
Notably, Univision’s Teresa beat The Sing-Off in among adults 18-49 and Gossip Girl at 8 p.m. with a 1.8 rating, while the network’s La Fuerza del Destino topped the second hour of The Sing-Off and Hart of Dixie with a 2.0. Perhaps more telling is Univision’s Don Francisco Presenta posting the same 1.3 rating as the struggling Playboy Club (1.3).
CBS – 4.6
· How I Met Your Mother: 10.6 million, 4.4
· 2 Broke Girls: 11.6 million, 4.5
· Two & A Half Men: 20 million, 7.2
· Mike & Molly (P): 14 million, 4.9
· Hawaii Five-0: 11.1 million, 3.3
ABC – 3.1
· Dancing With the Stars: 16 million, 3.3
· Castle: 11.9 million, 2.9
Fox – 3.0
· Terra Nova (P): 9 million, 3.0
NBC – 1.5
· The Sing-Off: 4.4 million, 1.7
· The Playboy Club: 3.8 million, 1.3
The CW – 0.8
· Gossip Girl (P): 1.4 million, 0.8
· Hart of Dixie (P): 1.8 million, 0.8
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
‘Swarm’ Boss Janine Nabers Peels Back the Layers of True Crime-Inspired Series and Its Antihero
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
John Oliver Mocks Trump’s “If You Don’t Love Your Children” Campaign Video Aimed at Farmers
‘Beef’ Review: Steven Yeun and Ali Wong Dazzle in Netflix’s Riveting Existential Revenge Dramedy