- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Welcome to episode 107 of TV’s Top 5, The Hollywood Reporter‘s TV podcast.
Every week, hosts Lesley Goldberg (West Coast TV editor) and Daniel Fienberg (chief TV critic) break down the latest TV news with context from the business and critical sides, welcome showrunners, executive and other guests and provide a critical guide of what to watch (or skip, as the case may be).
This week’s five topics are:
1-2. Joss Whedon and Gina Carano’s implosions.
In this double-stuffed segment, The Hollywood Reporter Heat Vision editor Aaron Couch joins us to discuss the controversies surrounding Joss Whedon and Gina Carano. While the Buffy creator continues to face new allegations of misconduct on the sets of his shows, he hasn’t been dropped by his agency. Carano, meanwhile, was outright fired from The Mandalorian, lost a spinoff and her agents. What’s next for both?
3. HBO Max’s animation investment. This week, the streamer picked up three new adult-focused animated shows as it makes a massive push in the genre. So why is the streamer doubling down on animation? This segment is an analysis of the streamer’s approach to animation and explores how its $500 million South Park investment could help lift other projects.
4. Showrunner Spotlight.
Prepare for warp speed with Jenny Lumet, who joins the show this week to discuss how her #MeToo experience led her to CBS’ Clarice, a sequel to Silence of the Lambs. Lumet, a Thomas Harris superfan, opens up about how she went from indie hit Rachel Getting Married to working in the Star Trek world with Alex Kurtzman.
5. Critic’s Corner.
As usual, every episode ends with Dan’s guide to what to watch (or skip) in the week ahead. This week, he weighs in on FX’s Hip-Hop Uncovered, Starz’s The Luminaries, NBC’s Young Rock and Kenan and more.
Hear it all now on TV’s Top 5. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss an episode. (Reviews welcome!) You can also email us with any topics or Mailbag questions you’d like to be addressed in future episodes at TVsTop5@THR.com.
Coming next week: A can’t-miss interview with For All Mankind and Outlander exec producer Ron Moore.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day