- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
USA Network’s hacker drama has found its main guy.
Rami Malek (24, The Pacific) will play the male lead in the one-hour drama pilot Mr. Robot, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The Universal Cable Productions project centers on a young programmer who suffers from an antisocial disorder and can only connect to people by hacking them.
Malek will play the young programmer, Elliot, described as a brilliant cyber security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night, who finds himself drawn to an underground anarchist group that launches cyber-attacks in an attempt to start a global revolution.
Sam Esmail (Comet) will pen the script and executive produce alongside Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin (True Detective) and Chad Hamilton (Breakup at a Wedding).
The WME-repped Malek has appeared in Larry Crowne, The Master, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Old Boy, Short Term 12 and Need for Speed. He can next be seen returning to the Night at the Museum franchise in the upcoming third film, scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 19. Over on the TV side, he played Snafu in The Pacific and had an arc on 24.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day