- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Vampire Diaries is losing a series regular.
Original star Steven R. McQueen will be exiting The CW’s vampire drama, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
McQueen — who has played Jeremy Gilbert, Elena’s brother, since the series’ 2009 launch — will depart early in the show’s 2015 run.
“His final episode will be episode 614, and the episode leading up [to it] will be him grappling with whether or not it’s time for him to say goodbye to Mystic Falls,” The Vampire Diaries executive producer Julie Plec tells THR. “Every year we look at which characters we feel like are ready to move on, whether to better things in life or to the Great Beyond. This year, we realized that Jeremy has truly grown into a man, and as the victim of so much pain at the hands of the supernatural universe, we felt like it was time for him to go out on his own and start a fresh new life — with a twist.”
But since the character will exit alive, Plec shared that there remains a chance for him to pop up in the future when the story dictates it. “He’ll always be welcome to join us for important events — unless [McQueen] finally gets his wish to play a superhero and he’s unavailable.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day