- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
During the bonus round, Emil De Leon was given the category “Thing.” Out of the three-word, 12-letter phrase, only two letters were revealed — the first two, which were N and E — after being spotted the requisite R, S, T, L, N, E series and choosing H, M, D and O as his additional letters.
“This looks tough to me,” Sajak told him, laughing. “It’s a thing. You’re a very good puzzle solver, but I don’t know. You have 10 seconds. Keep talking. Maybe the right thing will pop out. Good luck.”
De Leon then guesses it on his first try: “New Baby Buggy.” He then jumps around, elated, while Sajak is visibly shocked and then jokingly pats De Leon down. It also appeared that the person at the controls was a bit taken by surprise as it took a moment for the letters to be revealed on the game board after De Leon had guessed correctly.
By solving the final puzzle, De Leon won an additional $45,000, bringing his total prize to $63,099.
“I’m rather stunned,” Sajak said. He also tweeted about it Thursday:
What made last night’s solve amazing was the generic category. Could have been “new anything.” But “baby buggy?!” Wow!
— Pat Sajak (@patsajak) March 20, 2014
De Leon later told TMZ that he got lucky because he’d been thinking about babies while taping the show.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day