- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Javier Colon beat Dia Frampton on NBC’s The Voice Wednesday night. Here are five things to know about the new winner.
VIDEO: Stevie Nicks, Miranda Lambert, OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder, and Train’s Pat Monahan Hit Up ‘The Voice’
1. He didn’t think he would win. “I was expecting that Carson [Daly] would call Dia’s name and I was just prepared to hug her and tell her that I loved her. But then he called my name and I was just not expecting it,” he said. “Going into this show I learned to keep my expectations low and to not really have expectations at all.”
STORY: ‘The Voice’ Final Performance Show: 10 Behind the Scenes Shockers
2. He’s friends with Justin Bieber. They’ve communicated via Twitter, and Bieber has given him shout-outs on his Facebook page.
‘The Voice’s’ Adam Levine on Season 2 Return: ‘I’d Be Delighted To Be Back’
3. He attended University of Hartford’s Hartt School of Music, where he graduated with a degree in music education. There, he also founded an R&B a cappella quintet that performed at Apollo Theater in New York City.
4. He became the lead singer of neo-funk group EmCQ, which wrote music inspired by Stevie Wonder, Bill Withers, Maceo Parker and Tower of Power. “Being in that band really helped me grow vocally. I had never actually fronted a band or done anything like that before. I found another gear that I could kick into that I didn’t know I had,” he says on his website. He also became the lead singer of Derek Trucks Band, which was led by The Allman Brothers Band guitarist Derek Trucks. They toured together for two years.
COVER STORY: The Real Backstory Behind NBC’s Hit; Why Christina Aguilera Gets $225,000 a Show
5. His first three-song solo album sparked a bidding war, he ended up at Capitol, where he released two full-length albums before leaving the label. He released his third album, The Truth-Acoustic EP. In addition to performing with Stevie Nicks Wednesday’s show, he’s also sang with Joss Stone, Darius Rucker, The Indigo Girls, Chaka Khan and Anthony Hamilton.
‘The Voice’s’ Nakia Tells Us 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Cee Lo Green
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day