- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If you’ve been wondering why Eddie Redmayne doesn’t appear in the Hobbit franchise, you’re about to find out.
The Theory of Everything actor was a guest on the British talk show The Graham Norton Show, where the host asked him why he wasn’t in the Peter Jackson-directed films.
See more Making ‘The Theory of Everything’
Redmayne revealed that he actually did get an audition to play Bilbo Baggins, and he proceeded to reenact his ill-fated audition by scrunching up his body and doing a very strange voice.
He explained he was “really rigorous” about researching the role, which didn’t seem to keep fellow guest Liam Neeson from enjoying a hearty chuckle at the effort.
“I never got a callback,” Redmayne admitted. Perhaps it’s for the best that Martin Freeman got the part instead.
Watch Redmayne’s performance in the video below, along with guest Anna Kendrick‘s surprising reaction to it.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day