- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Another Weinstein Co. project is in flux following the sexual harassment and rape allegations made against now-former co-chairman Harvey Weinstein.
“We are eagerly awaiting the scripts that Daniel Voll and his team are currently writing. The project is in development and has not been greenlit yet,” a network spokesperson said in a statement. “We do not intend to move forward with the current configuration of the project and are exploring our options.”
Guantanamo would mark Stone’s first foray into scripted television. In addition to executive producing, he had signed on to direct the drama, should it be picked up to series. The project landed at Showtime three months ago.
Stone first partnered with TWC on the project in May. In a Facebook post late Thursday, Stone also said he would leave the project if TWC remained involved. “I’m appalled and commend the courage of the women who’ve stepped forward to report sexual abuse or rape,” he wrote. “I’ll therefore recuse myself from the Guantanamo series as long as The Weinstein Co. is involved.”
Written by Voll (The Unit), Guantanamo focuses specifically on the detainees held in one of the world’s most controversial prisons, and those who defend and condemn them. Opened after the Sept. 11 attacks, the Guantanamo Bay detention camp was used to interrogate and imprison suspects in the war on terror. However, human rights organizations have condemned the treatment of the 780 prisoners held there, specifically the various types of torture used. President Barack Obama vowed to shut down the camp in 2009, but was met with opposition and the camp remains open today, holding 41 prisoners.
Showtime’s statement echoes one sent out by Amazon earlier this week. On Tuesday, the streamer said it was “reviewing our options for the projects we have with The Weinstein Co..” Amazon has two pricey dramas from Weinstein Television in the works: an anthology drama from Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner and a drama from David O. Russell.
Following the scandal, Apple also scrapped a 10-part TV series about Elvis Presley that TWC was set to produce. That limited series was said to be one of four, with other subjects said to be Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson and Prince.
Weinstein, who was fired by the TWC board on Oct. 8, has seen his name removed from many of TWC’s TV projects, beginning with the Oct. 11 episode of Project Runway. Other shows that will see Weinstein’s name removed from credits include History’s Six; MTV’s Scream; Paramount Network’s upcoming Waco miniseries, Kevin Costner drama Yellowstone and Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story; and Les Miserables, the forthcoming six-part adaptation being produced with the BBC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Fien Print
Ticket to Paradise