- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film and TV actor dropped by the WTF With Marc Maron podcast on Monday where he talked about his decades-long career, specifically playing a lot of bullies in the ’80s, highlighted by his role as Johnny Lawrence in The Karate Kid (1984).
Zabka explained that prior to reprising his Johnny character in Cobra Kai, he and Ralph Macchio had rekindled their friendship after Pat Morita, who played the legendary Mr. Miyagi, died in 2005. They then started doing cons together, which, Zabka noted, went a lot better for Macchio than for him at first.
“It’s a trip,” Zabka said of getting used to the experience. “I love it now because up until [Cobra Kai] I was the table that the dads would walk up and go, ‘I just want my kid to meet you. This guy was the biggest asshole. Nice to meet you.’ And they would walk away.”
He continued, with Maron in hysterics, “Now, I got people coming up and going, ‘Hey, I love you on the show. Johnny is cool now.'”
Zabka also noted that he broke the news to Martin Kove about the Netflix series while they were at a con together. Kove, who plays John Kreese, immediately wanted in, Zabka said.
Cobra Kai season four is slated to be out later this year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
The Flight Attendant