- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The highly-anticipated premiere of The Wiz Live! on NBC Thursday night did not disappoint, earning critical acclaim in comparison to the network’s previous two live musicals and topping last year’s Peter Pan Live’s ratings.
One of the most buzzed-about topics of discussion post-airing is Orange is the New Black star Uzo Aduba as Glinda the Good Witch, shutting the show down in the 11 o’clock torch song “Believe in Yourself” (proving that of course Crazy Eyes can sing) in a stunning gold dress by costume designer Paul Tazewell. Tazewell, also the costume designer for Broadway hit Hamilton, described Aduba’s costume as “a Grounded Ball of Light.” Much like Aduba herself, it seems.
The other big takeaway from the event? 19-year-old newcomer Shanice Williams nailed her portrayal of Dorothy with the ease of a stage and screen veteran, assuring her future superstardom. USA Today’s review of the musical sums it up in saying, “Viewers got to witness the launch of a scintillating new performer in Shanice Williams, the young college student who may just have sung her way to stardom as Dorothy.”
Watch Williams’ chill-inducing performance of “Home” below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day