- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A surprising face is hopping abroad The X-Files revival.
Community star Joel McHale has signed on to guest star in the upcoming limited series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The actor and comedian will play Tad O’Malley, the anchor of a popular conservative Internet news network who becomes an unlikely ally for Mulder (David Duchovny).
McHale is the first piece of new casting for the upcoming six-episode revival, which is set to premiere on Jan. 24, 2016. He joins returning stars Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Mitch Pileggi.
Series creator Chris Carter is penning the scripts for the new episodes and will also executive produce.
The role marks McHale’s return to broadcast TV since Community was axed by NBC in 2014. The cult favorite was resurrected by Yahoo and just wrapped its sixth season. It remains to be seen whether the Dan Harmon-created series will return for a seventh season or — as fans have long hoped — a movie. McHale also hosts The Soup on E! and will host the 2015 ESPYs on July 15.
The X-Files returns to the small screen after 13 years off the air. Duchovny and Anderson most recently reunited for The X-Files: I Want to Believe in 2008.
McHale’s other credits include Ted and Sons of Anarchy. He is repped by WME and Ziffren, Brittenham.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day