- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Accustomed to being in the driver’s seat on the Awkward Express that is his ongoing Funny or Die web series Between Two Ferns, Zach Galifianakis met his match in the sharp wit of Jon Stewart and Tina Fey.
The actor and comedian’s faux-talk show, which aired ahead of Sunday night’s Comedy Awards on Comedy Central, saw Galifianakis conduct interviews with both the Daily Show and 30 Rock star. Two clips from the episode made it online, and the Emmy-winners showed no mercy.
Stewart mocked Galifianakis’s acting talent — yes, he was in the hit Hangover movies, he said, but Stewart insists the success was all about the film’s signature tag-along baby and monkey. Fey is even harsher, deconstructing the entire affair.
“There is a level of malice to your whole behavior and questioning style, while kind of humorous, is actually very cowardly,” she charged. “It’s almost like you’re being willfully obtuse in these questions to make some kind of vague point of the fatuous nature of celebrity interviews, which is a pretty well-trod observation. Yes, we all agree, celebrity interviews are vacant and empty, but at the same time, you asked me to come here.”
Don’t think too hard about it: Given that this was all actually a scripted comedy routine, your head may explode.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day