- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Zendaya is in negotiations to join the high-wattage cast of The Greatest Showman, Fox’s musical focusing on P.T. Barnum, the founder of the circus that became the famous traveling Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Michael Gracey is directing the project, which has Zac Efron and Michelle Williams in negotiations to join Hugh Jackman, who has spent years developing the project. Michael Arndt, who wrote the screenplay for Toy Story 3, is penning the script.
Jackman is playing Barnum while Efron will portray a playwright who becomes Barnum’s right-hand man. Williams will play Jackman’s love interest.
Zendaya will play a trapeze artist Efron’s character falls for.
The project will have original songs by Justin Paul and Benj Pasek, the songwriting team who worked on NBC’s musical series Smash as well as stage musicals James and the Giant Peach and A Christmas Story: the Musical.
Zendaya, the Disney Channel star of K.C. Undercover, is making major strides into movies. She is filming Spider-Man: Homecoming, in which she plays the female lead opposite Tom Holland.
She is repped by CAA and Monster Talent Management.
Chernin Entertainment is producing along with Jackman and Laurence Mark.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day